University Heights College Suites Expansion
Sano-Rubin was the Construction Manager for this fast-track, 4-story, 37,800 sf addition to the existing College Suites building. The new wing consists of 87-beds in studio, 2 and 4-bedroom suites. Each studio/suite has internet and individual HVAC units and each floor has a lounge area. A central laundry room is located on the first floor and the 4th floor suites have laundry hookup available within the units. The building has closed circuit TV monitoring and entry access control on the main entry doors and access control on the doors on each floor to the suite areas.
The site for the expansion included major site utility congestion and a main trunk fiber optic line serving the nearby Albany Medical Center Hospital. The sitework component required constant and close coordination with the Owner and structural engineer to either relocate utilities or develop quick structural modifications to build the foundation around/over/under utilities that needed to remain in place. Due to the intricate phasing of this work, construction did not begin until mid-October 2013.
With only six months remaining to complete the slab-on-grade and the building, several measures were used to accelerate the construction:
- Concrete additive to improve winter curing and eliminate residual moisture/drying issues potentially delaying/preventing proper adhesion of luxury vinyl plank flooring;
- Prefabricated wall panels to reduce the on-site installation time;
- “Just-in-time” material delivery by area/floor minimizing space loss on very tight site;
- Weather-resistant wall and roof sheathing for rough-ins, insulation and drywall to commence before roofing and wall finishes were started;
- Coordinated masonry and cementitious siding installations for separate locations without impacting work spaces;
- Use of mock-up for mechanical room layout and coordination for access to all equipment;
- Weekly subcontractor meetings, daily discussion and e-mails to keep workers and Owner’s vendors working together in a wave for efficient work flow and schedule progress;
- Walls and ceilings sheetrocked, finish taped and primed before gypcrete flooring installed so cabinetry, ceramic tile, and other finish work could start immediately after gypcrete underlayment without significant obstacles;
- Daily cleaning ensured a safe workspace and helped the work progress smoothly and quickly;
- Close coordination throughout the construction with Designers and Owner facilitated collaboration of suggestions, rendering of decisions and clarifications where needed.