Empire State College Distance Learning Center
The new 46,000 square foot, 3-story, steel framed Distance Learning Center was completed June 30, 2009. It is located at 113 West Avenue, adjacent to the existing facility. The facility contains numerous administrative offices, conference rooms, meeting rooms, instructional spaces as well as a multipurpose room and kitchen on the third floor. Geothermal wells were a main component of the work and completed as part of the general construction contract. This project achieved a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) “Silver” rating.
Techniques used to help facilitate the project:
- Held bi-weekly meeting with subcontractors and provided updated 2-week look-a-head schedule.
- Met with SUCF and Architect on alternating weeks to address and resolve issues and conflicts.
- As required by the contract documents, held pre-installation conferences for major work components such as steel erection, concrete floors, fire protection, exterior wall systems.
- A Sano-Rubin project team was dedicated to the project from initial bid through construction to maintain cohesiveness and efficiency.
- Actively involved our in-house LEED AP coordinator and MEP department to ensure subcontractor compliance with contract documents and LEED submissions.
- Worked with Lois McLaughlin of SUCF to actively solicit bids from M/WBE during the bidding and preconstruction process to achieve specified goals.
- Our on-site superintendent maintained frequent communication with Architect to ensure smooth day-to-day site production.
JMZ Architects & Planners PC